Call for Applications
RCSI/COSECSA COLLABORATION PROGRAMME
Global Surgery Research Support 2021/2022
Globally, over 5 billion people lack access to safe, affordable and timely surgical care with the majority being in sub-Saharan Africa. Through the Collaboration Program (CP) the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (RCSI) and the College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA), more than 530 surgeons have been trained and graduated with a Fellowship qualification from COSECSA. These Fellows have become part of the specialist surgical workforce in the region. However, there is a paucity of global surgery research originating from the region, with most of research being from and done by colleagues from HICs.
Aim of the call
RCSI/COSECSA Collaboration Programme (CP) aims to strengthen the research activities in the region. Therefore, we are inviting COSECSA trainees to send an expression of interest for this call.
The Fellows Global Surgery Research Support will provide a grant of $3,000 to implement the proposed research selected.
COSECSA fellows will be prepared to be future global surgery researchers and surgeon scientists to contribute in scientific publications and participate in global surgery conferences for disseminating final results of their projects.
The program will also prepare them to undertake Post-fellowship Research training programs.
- Be a surgeon enrolled in COSECSA Fellowship/Membership Program
- Interests in global surgery research with focus in patient outcomes
- Willing to participate in a series of research and mentorship training and meetings
- Women young researchers are encouraged to apply
The Application Process
In order to apply, please do submit the following documents:
- Cover letter – expressing your interest to participate into the program
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV). If the research team is having more than one applicant, please include CVs of each member of the team
- A research concept note of your proposed topic and mentorship plan.
a. Topics related to patient outcomes will be prioritized.
- Two (2) recommendation letters, one must be from the Program Director in your respective training institution
- Motivation letter: Explaining why you need this program and what impact are you foreseeing
Please send your application to RCSI/COSECSA Research and Patient Outcomes Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org before 15th March 2022, late applications will not be considered.