COSECSA’s vision is to enhance surgical services within the Sub-Saharan region by increasing both the number of appropriately trained, well qualified surgeons and surgically trained general medical officers.
To achieve this vision, we have set the following objectives:
- To promote the honour and dignity of the surgical and allied health professions and to ensure that the highest ethical standards in the practice of surgery are maintained throughout the region.
- To organise a common training programme in recognised institutions and to organise examinations of candidates for admission to the College in the various disciplines of surgery.
- To promote and encourage postgraduate education and research in surgery which is relevant to the region.
- To organise workshops, seminars, lectures, and conferences which regularly bring together Members and Fellows of the College to advance the science and practice of surgery in the region.
In order to achieve these objectives, COSECSA has adopted a plan of action that aims to:
- Set up Surgical Specialty Training in General Surgery, Urology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Paediatric Surgery, Paediatric Othropaedics Surgery, Cadiothoracic surgery, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) and Plastic Surgery.
- Establish a Surgical Skills Centre in each constituent country.
- Offer short term exchange programmes for trainees in selected countries.
- Offer Scholarships in Specialist Training within the ECSA region.
To be the reference surgical body in the region of East, Central and South Africa and beyond
The mission of the College of Surgeons is to promote excellence in Surgical Care, Training and Research
- To promote the honor and dignity of the surgical profession and patients by ensuring that the highest ethical standards in the training and practice of surgery are maintained throughout the region.
- To promote and encourage postgraduate education, training and research in surgery which is relevant to the region and is focused in increase the number of surgeons and surgically trained health professionals.
- To advance the science and practice of surgery in the region.